Thursday, August 15, 2013

Tryouts!

    I would have to say that yesterday was a pretty big day for me. I had my first ever volleyball tryouts for high school. We had 2 days of tryouts, each day was 6 hours of practice, so that's 12 hours of volleyball in just 2 days!!! But, it was fun and yet... very nerve racking! There were ALOT of people trying out, which meant that ALOT of people would be cut from making a team. I was incredibly nervous, I tried to stay positive the whole time but, in the back of my head I didn't think that my chances were very good of making a team. This was mainly because I have only played volleyball for one year. I did have one good advantage though, height. I figured that that would help me in the tryouts. So, throughout the 2 day tryout process, everyone was getting anxious, especially in the final hours of tryouts. Tryouts ended at 9, and so at about 8:55 we had a talk from one of the head coaches one the second day. He talked to everyone about how we had all tried hard, and that it was unfortunate that so many people would have to be cut but to keep pursuing volleyball, if that's what you really wanted to do and work at, and to try out next year if you want the chance to make it next year. I was getting anxious... The coach told us that the lists had just been printed and were on the wall in the other gym. He told us that we could go and look at it now. I nervously walked there.
   Everyone was crowded by the wall, looking for there name to be on one of the lists. I was trying out for the A team or B team. I looked at the lists. My name wasn't on them. I stood there, I just kept looking at the list. Until I finally realized that I was looking at one of the wrong lists. Looking over at the other list, I saw my name on it!!!
   I couldn't believe it, I was in complete shock. I made the B team, and I was just SO excited that I made a team!!!
   The coach had told us that if our name was on one of the lists, we had to go back to the other gym to talk with our team. As I was walking back, I saw my brother in the hall, waitng for me. I gave him a look. I walked away and he went back to the car.
   After we talked with our new team members, we got to leave and go home.
   I had a great plan of telling my mom that I didn't make the team and just see her reaction. My plan had already partcially worked by giving my brother the "look" when I was in the hall.
   I walked out to the car, looking down and pretending to be upset. I got in the car and my mom said, "How did you do?" I responded, "OK." She asked similar questions like that and I just gave one word answers, telling her I didn't make the team. Finally she said, "It's unfortunate you didn't make the team, maybe next year though." I looked up and asked, "Do you want to know a good thing though?" She and Derrek both looked at me. "I MADE THE TEAM!" I screamed. They both sat there in shock for a few seconds before they both started freaking out with me. I called my sister and dad and did the same thing to them.
   Everyone was pretty happy and excited for me. I couldn't believe that I had actually made a team. Overall, it was a good day and yet one of the most nerve racking days ever.

1 comment:

  1. SO proud of you Hannah. You are going to love it and have SUCH a great time.

    ReplyDelete