Saturday, August 10, 2013

Northern Lights

   Last night I was outside driving around on the golf cart with my brother, Derrek, when all of sudden we go over this hill and see these lights flashing in the sky. We stop and just look at the lights for a minute or so. We thought that they were spot lights in the sky, so we drove back to the house to mention it to my dad.
   We drive up to my dad and tell him about the lights. All 3 of us walk to the front yard and just look up, into the sky. The lights moved in soft, gentle directions. From just little spots in the sky, to moving and kinda of swirling around, we realized that they were the northern lights. It was kind of hard to see them because it was cloudy out, but I couldn't take my eyes off them. I stood there for a good 5 minutes, just staring at them. I had never seen them before in my life. I asked my dad how often they come around, he said a few times, they come more often around our area because we live pretty far north, like more towards Canada I would say.
   I then asked him why I had never seen them before. He told me because most people just don't look up. I realized he was right. If I hadn't taken the time to just look up at the sky while I was driving, I never would have seen them and pointed them out.
   The lights were green and white basically. I had never seen anything like it! It was just the coolest thing I had ever seen. I stayed in the yard for about 25 minutes just watching the lights move around in the dark sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment